What I am going to tell you, can be leant in a second and is immensely useful. The golden quality that you can and should learn is – SILENCE
It doesn’t sound that important, right? Before you make up your mind, please see the following advantages of silence:
- When I was doing my MBA, the professors used to incentivise the students for class participation. In a bid to participate in the class, many students used to chip in, without having studied the course material. Now, one of our professors instituted negative marking for ACP – Arbit Class Participation. The prof said,’ If you have bullshit in your mouth, please don’t open it. Hence, keeping silent and listening well, when you don’t have anything worthwhile to say, protects you from making a fool of yourself.
- Keeping silent at the right time, not only protects you from making a fool of yourself, it actually makes you look more intelligent than you are. Many times, keeping quiet and nodding your head intelligently projects you as an intelligent person. (However, don’t use this excuse to keep quiet when you need to speak. Keeping extra-quiet has its own problems.)
- Silence teaches you how to enjoy your own company. If you can sit quietly in silence for some time, you can experience peace and tranquility.
- Silence makes you a good listener. If you keep silent, you show interest in what your partner is talking about. Rather than waiting for your opportunity to jump in, keep silent, nod periodically and whoever you are talking to, will just love it. (Specially, your wife or girlfriend, if you are a male).
- Silence allows you to hear nature. If you are sitting on a beach or camping in jungle or going on a nature trek, on a hill or jungle, you can hear the multiple sounds of nature and other living beings. Hear the sound of waves at the seashore, hear the rustling of grass in savannah, hear the chirping of birds on the trees – only if you keep quiet yourself.
- Silence lets you manage your anger. If you see something that’s against your wish or liking, you are prone to start shouting or objecting. But if you practice being silent for only a minute before you speak, you may not want to speak and disturb your own peace.
- Finally, silence is the indication of ultimate understanding between two partners or friends. When you don’t need to explain yourself and everything is understood, your silence has achieved its ultimate object.
Silence = Peace & Happiness
Let me know your thoughts!
A seeker and explorer in the quest for lasting happiness, health and well-being. An MBA from XLRI Jamshedpur and a Mechanical Engineer from IIT Delhi. Has been a senior banker with large global banks like Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and ANZ Bank. Working in these demanding global institutions with a gruelling schedule and plenty of business travel. Was fortunate to realise the importance of health and wellbeing early on. Learnt and practiced many wellbeing tools and techniques to focus on his own well-being while balancing the demands of a high-profile career and a lovely family.